Star (Five Points) Poem
- This poem presents five arguments for or against a topic.
- For example, in the poem "Teenage Smoking," the writer presents arguments against smoking. The points (stanzas) are as follows: (1) it presents a negative image to others, (2) They smell bad, (3) They're bad for your health, (4) breaking the law with smoking can lead to breaking the law in bigger ways, (5) They're addicting.
- In the poem "Healthy Living," the writer presents arguments for healthy living. The points (stanzas) are as follows: (1) eating healthy is smart, (2) exercise can be fun, (3) live a stress-free life, (4) driving while alert and aware is safe, (5) balancing work and play will lead to positive attitude.
- Select a topic from the list below or one of your choosing. Commit to a side of the issue--for or against.
- Brainstorm reasons to support your side of the argument.
- The poem's structure is as follows:
- The title of the poem is the topic you choose to argue.
- There are five stanzas. Each stanza presents one support for your argument.
- The rhyme scheme is ABCB for each stanza.
Standing on a street corner,
Looking, oh so tough.
People passing by,
Thinking you are rough.
The fumes are all around you,
Fouling up the air.
Causing you to cough and sputter,
And stinking up your hair.
Your lungs are getting blacker,
They're filled with soot and grime.
You're going to get sicker,
If you keep smoking all the time.
Going into stores,
Pretending that you're older.
Breaking laws this young,
Can make you even bolder.
If you start smoking young,
You may think you're cool.
But you can become addicted,
And then you're just a fool.
Eat some fresh-picked peas,
Some wholesome carrots too,
Get your fill of healthy foods,
It's the smartest thing to do.
Get off the couch and exercise,
Walk, jog, swim, and run.
Soon you'll come to realize,
That exercise is fun.
Keep stress in tow,
Slow down your pace,
Take a long, deep breath,
The stress-free life embrace.
Always wear your seat belt,
Drive with caution and with care,
Deal patiently with traffic jams,
Stay alert and stay aware.
Look for the bright side,
Take a positive stance.
Balance work with play time,
And your health you will enhance.